We love a good zero waste hair journey! Today we want to share an easy DIY for flax seed styling gel for curly hair. It's such a money saver too. All you need is flax seeds, water, and a way to filter it.
DIY Flax seed styling gel ingredients:
- 2T Flax seeds - find flax seeds in bulk here
Any essential oils you want to add. Lavender and rosemary are great for hair growth and scalp health!
Recipe will make about 4 oz.
1. Boil your water and turn it down to medium heat.
2. Add your flax seeds, stir, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Once it turns sticky enough that you get a good slime going, take it off the heat and set it aside (with the lid on) to cool for 30-45 minutes. It should look like this:
4. Line a jar, bowl, or glass measuring cup with your cloth bag/filter. Slowly pout the mixture through, gather the top of the fabric and gently squeeze to filter the gel from the seeds. If you're using cheese cloth, you may want to wrap a rubber band around the edge to hold it in place. Just let the top cave in a little so the flax seed goo has some where to sit while it filters.
5. Compost the flax seeds or freeze them to make another batch later!
6. Store the flax styling gel in a squeeze bottle or glass jar in the fridge. It will last 1-2 weeks refrigerated, but if you have extra, you can freeze it into an ice cube tray to thaw later!
PRO TIP: You can use less water or let it simmer for longer to achieve a stronger hold! Watch the video to see how ours turned out! If you get tired of making your own, we have a whole collection of zero waste styling gels to choose from.
Check out my video tutorial to watch the recipe step by step and see how it looks on my hair! I also tell you a little bit more about my zero waste curly hair routine, like using my regular conditioner as a leave-in conditioner, and a really cool solid-to-liquid hair gel that's very similar to flax seed styling gel.
Let me know if you try this recipe at home and how you like it! Comment below.