Finding small moments throughout the day for self-care helps me bring my best self to my work, my family, and my hobbies… And what’s more important than feeling like your best self? In my mind, self-care is a worthwhile investment, even if it does take a little time.
To help motivate myself, I recently brainstormed a list of little things I can do each day that are good for me, and made a game for myself to make it fun! Every 2 weeks, I make a handwritten scoresheet for this “good for me” game in my bullet journal, and every evening I track my points for the day. (BTW - the title is inspired by our “good for me” to-do list notepads!)
Here are some highlights from my version of the game: little self-care treats that you can do in under 30 minutes each! I’ve broken them up by category. You can bring these into your own version of the game, along with your own favorite self-care activities! Whenever you need a little pick-me-up, choose whatever activity speaks to you in the moment, and the more you can get to in a day, the better! At the end of the day, tally your points and celebrate all the ways you took care of yourself. In this game, we only celebrate what we DO, and we don’t worry about the things we didn’t get to today. After all, tomorrow is always a new opportunity :).
- Meditate - I like the Headspace app and the Chopra app, or I just take some mindful breaths while I focus on whatever I’m doing, or close my eyes.
- Read a book or an article
- Listen to music, an audiobook, or podcast (like the Eco Collective podcast!)
- Go for a walk
- Another form of exercise - dance, run, bike, yoga, lift, etc.
- Take a plunge (or swim) in the ocean or another body of water
- Have a smoothie - bonus points for adding an adaptogen blend!
- Take your gummy vitamins
- Take a shower
- Do your hair care or skincare routine
- Do a face mask
- Draw affirmation cards - the Inquire Within Deck is my favorite!
- Spend time with a friend - virtually or in person!
- Go outside
- Play with a pet
- Watch a fun TV episode
- Journaling (my personal favorite!) - free write, write lyrics, poetry, fiction, whatever you like!
- Put on a fun outfit
- Make a collage or moodboard - I love making digital collages using an iPad app called Paper, or creating a Pinterest board!
- Online shopping - it’s called curating your life, okay?
- Plan a DIY project - Pinterest and other posts on the Eco Collective blog are great inspiration!
- Pick out a recipe to try, or peruse the grocery store for inspiration!
- Make a checklist or use your planner
- Make a cup of tea or coffee
- Take your lunch break!
- Gossip with your coworkers - what’s the juice?!